This week’s topic is a bit more about the people behind the blogs – so here we have Top Ten Facts About Me.
1. When I was little I wanted to be an archaeologist – largely due to a very early obsession with history and my dad’s incessant watching of Time Team. I really loved the idea of ancient civilisations and trying to decode things by what’s been left behind. I’m still fascinated by it and it’s probably why I love genealogy so much.
2. I LOVE languages and I very nearly went down the Modern Languages path for my degree. I’m not a polyglot by any means, apart from English I can speak French, Spanish and a little bit of German. We only did German for one year at high school and I just didn’t enjoy it as much. I think this was largely due to the way we were taught and I’d like to give it another shot! I also really want to learn Italian, Gaelic, Dutch and Polish – basically all the languages ok?
3. I’m very allergic to insect bites – as evidenced by the giant bruise on my leg at the moment – but I can usually avoid the steroid tablets if I take antihistamines year round and keep my hydrocortisone handy. I don’t really want to find out what happens if I ever get stung…
4. I’ve got dysfunctional Eustachian tubes in my ears. This is a problem for a lot of things but very good for detecting storms and heavy rain due to the changes in air pressure! I very rarely get caught out in bad weather now.
5. I’m mostly Irish – DNA proven! When I took the AncestryDNA test I was surprised by how balanced my results were. The breakdown was 29% Ireland, 27% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 19% Western European, 2% Eastern European and 1% Iberian Peninsula.
6. I can only whistle sideways which has bewildered my friends and family for years. I can’t do the thing with my fingers and I can’t just purse my lips and blow, it has to be sideways – make of that what you will.
7. I can only really see out of my left eye – I’ve a squint in my right so my brain ignores the information coming from it unless I close me left. As such my hand-eye coordination is awful and so it my ability to judge distance. I’m better at catching things if I shut my eyes first, I’m also less likely to walk into things when it’s dark. Basically with my eyes open I am very, VERY clumsy.
8. I danced (ballet, tap and a bit of Jazz) on and off from age 2 to 14 until I injured my knee playing cricket in PE *shakes fist*. It took another four years and a car accident to work out what I’d done to it (hello hypermobility). But I’m hoping that one day I’ll regain enough muscle control to start again without further injury.
9. I’m fascinated by genetics – Always have been, I don’t know why. There’s so much information packed into our genetic code hair colour, eye colour, our health – DNA is very cool people.
10. I can’t stand the smell/taste of artificial mint, it honestly makes me feel sick. I’m fine with the actual plant, will quite happily munch on the leaves like a rabbit, but as soon as we get into ‘mint-flavoured’ and ‘mint-scented’ I’m out of there.